Today, anyone with a digital camera will end up with thousands of images on their computer within a short span of time. If the photos are not organised properly, it is difficult to find the needed photograph. All digital photographs have date and time information. Design a photo viewing and organising software that solely works on date & time information available in digital photographs. The proposed design should have a good photo viewing experience, and should also be easy to find photos. The application can either be a desktop client, or a RIA application hosted online.
A Photo Management app for Adobe
Image Organiser has played a very important role in the life of an photographer. It was started from the date when camera was introduced to people in the world. Continuous technological enhancement has changed the way of manipulating and organising of photographs, but the intention is still similar till today’s date and I hope it will be the same. There were different ways how people used to organise photographs. Few of these are as:
- Using catalogues to search by keywords.
- Indexing of Places and People.
- Using series catalogue description to locate records.
Common Features of Image Organizers
- Images can be organized in albums.
- Albums can be organized into collections.
- Adding tags, keywords, flags.
- Thumbnail preview of multiple images all together.
- Resizing, editing, exporting, sharing and printing.
Notable Different and Unique features
- Backup creation and exporting meta data.
- Internal search engine to find photos faster.
- Editing and stitching of panoramic photographs.
- Viewing and editing of Live Photographs.
- Grouping of images and making a slideshow.
- Cloud based technology for better accessibility.
- Organising of photographs in multiple mechanisms.
Type of Image Organizers
Automatic image organisers
These are software packages that read data present in digital pictures and use this data to automatically create an organization structure. Each digital picture contains information about the date when the picture was taken. It is this piece of information that serves as the basis for automatic picture organization. The user usually has little or no control over the automatically created organization structure. Some tools create this structure on the hard drive (physical structure), while other tools create a virtual structure (it exists only within the tool).
Manual image organisers
This kind of software provides a direct view of the folders present on a user’s hard disk. Sometimes referred to as image viewers, they allow the user only to see the pictures but do not provide any automatic organization features. They give maximum flexibility to a user and show exactly what the user has created on his hard drive. While they provide maximum flexibility, manual organizers rely on the user to have his/her own method to organize their pictures. Currently there are two main methods for organizing pictures manually: tag and folder based methods. While not mutually exclusive, these methods are different in their methodology, outcome and purpose. Presently, many commercial image organizers offer both automatic and manual image organization features. A comparison of image viewers reveals that many free software packages are available that offer most of the organization features available in commercial software.
List of Available Image Organizers
- Zoner Photo Studio
- Shutterfly Studio
- Fast Stone Image viewer
- Coded Color Photostudio Pro
Feature Mapping based on Problem Findings & Needs.
- Easy and simple interface.
- Image organizer should work differently not like a window to browse hard drive.
- Importing and Referencing of images.
- Map based image addressing.
- Tag suggestions and location based tag generation and image mapping.
- Categorised an Un-categorised albums.
- Timeline view for all photos and album browsing.
- Feed from past – On this day.
- Location based tagging and Search.
- Selecting and Giving rating to the best shot of similar photos.
- Searching and Finding of similar photos.
- Converting of images to smaller in size and high resolution versions.
- Social Integration for better image organizing by face detection.
- Folder and Images batch renaming.
- Saving a photo after editing a photo.
Desktop Application for better image organising.
Selecting disk source will be asked to user first time for indexing of images based on the location selected.
Application will not copy any image to the local from any other resources. Indexing of photos takes the reference of original path of the images.
Indexing of all images takes time which should be done in background. User can minimise the process & can start exploring the application.
Login to Creative Cloud account to sync your photographs across all devices. Top right corner has a progress bar indicating the indexing of photographs is under process.
After login or skip login user will land on “All photos page” where on the right hand user can see the entire timeline which is based on the available photos information and their metadata. The application will fetch the date and year of creation of photograph and will organise in the order of latest on top. User can hover the timeline to view more details. On left the main navigation panel.
- All Photos
- All Folders (based on indexing similar to hard drive folder structure)
- Locations visited (based on meta data)
- Social Network (Facebook)
When scrolling timeline a highlighted section comes up where user can see the month of that particular year. On selection of location or tag, it will become highlighted and rest of the content will get loaded based on the tag or location. By hovering on left icons user will be able to see their respective names.
Tags page is to show all the tags defined by the user to differentiate the image and for later references. On this page user will see all the created tags. On selection, user will be able to see them in the header bar also the color or tag will turn blue to differentiate. Based on the selection below photographs will change. All the photos will be sorted in the order of lates on top. On every page user can access timeline for better usability.
User will also be able to search image based on face recognition technology. After importing application will automatically detect faces and will prompt user to name those faces which can help user in organising images better. Facebook integration will work as AI based face recognition technology where user don’t have to feed name. Those names will be fetched automatically by the application via Facebook. Similarly it will show all your photos from other people’s account in your Facebook section or social section in the application.
Map based image organising will be game changer. Where user will see all the images taken on different geographical locations, fetched from images metadata. User can drill down to certain location and can explore more photographs taken in that region. After drilling down to certain level user will see all the images taken in that region in the order of latest on top using timeline.
Other screens based on categories. In the organised view user can see the folder name and number of photos in it. Below that the information show the location these pictures were taken and who all people are there in those photos based on face AI recognition using social integration.
Un-organised photos or recently imported and unsorted photos can be seen here.
On clicking of a picture user will see the image in full screen view, where application will suggest the name to pic based on other related images or based on metadata. User can view the information of images like metadata. User can delete and edit image.
- Project Name Photo Management App
- Date 5 October, 2017
- Category App Design Design Desktop Application Design UX Design Visual Design